I've been in need of a project to get rid of all those odd balls of yarn that remain from other projects, or that were bought for a project that never happened, or that were bought in a hurry only to be met with a perplexed "what was I thinking?". I also wanted it to be quick and easy (Christmas present), so since I had quite a few balls of Big Wool I settled on a large gauge (2 sts to 1 inch) and monster #17 needles. All the thinner yarns have been winded into balls either using two strands, or using three different colors of the same yarn (although I'm not quite sure those are going to make it into the blanket).
I decided early on that it had to be a blanket to acommodate all that yarn, and that it had to be "patchworkie" (obviously, since I have all different kinds of yarn). I fiddled with Elizabeth Zimmerman's garter stitch blanket, thinking I might use blocks of color or even stripes, but it didn't work out: too many different yarns and no idea of how much of each I would need to give it some sort of regularity.
Then I thought log cabin would be perfect: it would accomodate different colors and block sizes nicely, and there would be no seams to deal with; but I started with a small square and it just didn't look quite right at such a large gauge. But I knew I was on the right track, and then I came accross the Moderne Log Cabin Blanket by the Mason-Dixon ladies.
So here it is. I'm not following the pattern at all, but using the idea of starting with a large block, doing log cabin around it and then adding a block in two colors on the other end. I'm really liking it, and I hope the recipient will, too.